Syktyvkar State University was established in accordance with the decision of the Council of Ministers the USSR №698 from September 24, 1971, Decision of the RSFSR Council of Ministers № 580 from October 25, 1971 “On the organization of Syktyvkar State University.” February 10, 1972 – is considered to be the date of establishment of the University, when the order № 49 of the Minister of Higher and Secondary Specialised Education of the RSFSR “On approval of the structure of Syktyvkar State University” was issued. SyktSU is registered by the administration of “City of Syktyvkar” 15.12.1997 Certificate № 312/97.
The previous name of the University: Syktyvkar State University named after 50th anniversary of the USSR was renamed Syktyvkar State University on the basis of Resolution of the Russian Government dated June 26, 1993 №593 that approved the ” Regulations about the university”, where paragraph 13 states that the state awards of the former USSR are not specified in the official name of the University.
Syktyvkar State University was renamed the State Educational Institution of Higher Professional Education “Syktyvkar State University” (“SyktSU”) on the basis of the order № 145-GSO on June 24, 2002.
Based on the orders number 278-GSO 280-GSO of 14 June 2011 the state educational institution of higher professional education “Syktyvkar State University” was renamed into Federal State Educational Institution of Higher Professional Education “Syktyvkar State University” (VPO “SyktSU”).
In the first academic year as part of the university two faculties were opened: Historical-phylological and Natural Science, more than 40 teachers worked in nine departments. The main suppliers of employees were Komi branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences (now the Komi Research Center, Ural Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences), Leningrad (St. Petersburg), Moscow, Perm State University and Komi State Pedagogical Institute, more than 1/3 of teachers were sent from Leningrad State University. In 1972 350 students were admitted to the University in 8 specialties (mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, history, Russian language and literature, the Komi language and literature, industry planning).
The first appointed rector was a well-known scientist in the field of the North’s economy, Doctor of Geographical Sciences, Professor Valentina Vityazeva (1919-2010). She has occupied the position of Rector for 15 years, and was at that time the only female university rector in the USSR. In 1987 Rector of the University was elected the doctor of physical and mathematical Sciences, Professor Alexei Eliseevich Grishchenko (1937-2011), in 1990 as Rector was elected Doctor of physical and mathematical Sciences, Professor Sergey Ivanovich Khudyaev (1934-2004). In 1995-2012 the University was headed by Doctor of Economic Sciences, Professor Vasily Nikiforovich Zadorozhnyy. On November 6, 2012 as Vice-Rector and since February 20, 2013 the Rector is a PhD for legal sciences Istikhovskaya Marina Dmitrievna.
In 1973, with the aim of improving the educational process management the Faculty of Natural Sciences was divided into three: Physics and Mathematics, Chemistry and Biology and Economics, and in 1977 the historical-philological – into two: philological and historical faculties. By 1982, 5 faculties have enrolled 2736 students.
In the next decade, the specific tasks of Syktyvkar University were determined by the regulations of the RSFSR State Committee for Science and Higher Education № 19 from March 20, 1991 “On measures to develop Syktyvkar University” and the Komi Republic Council of Ministers of Autonomous Republic № 276 from July 15, 1991 “On development measures of higher education in the Komi Republic. “
In 2000, Master’s degree program was opened, College of Economics and Law with two specialties of secondary vocational education was organized, a branch of the University of Vorkuta with four specialties was opened.
In recent years, the university, taking inot consideration the needs of the Komi Republic, created new specialties, areas of training and specialization. The university pays great attention to these directions. Thus, from 2004 to 2009 there were opened 23 educational programs of higher education, two programs of secondary vocational education and a program of initial vocational training.
Since its establishment in 1972, 30 thousand specialists, most of whom are currently working in the region, have graduated from the University.
Since 1994, the University has been successfully passing the state certification procedures and accreditation process and comprehensive evaluation. On the basis of the report of the Accreditation Board of the Federal Service of Supervision in the Sphere of Education and Science on July 16, 2009 № 6-2009 / K, approved by Order of the Federal Service of Supervision in the Sphere of Education and Science of 17 July 2009 № 1755 “Syktyvkar State University “was accredited in 39 basic educational programs (higher vocational education – 33, secondary vocational education – 6), along with additional vocational training programs.
By the Decision of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation from April 13, 2011 № 1484 “About renaming of the state educational institution of higher education” Syktyvkar State University » ” SyktSU was renamed the Federal State Educational Institution of Higher Professional Education” Syktyvkar State University ” (“SyktSU”).
Syktyvkar State University has 7176 students, including 4798 students of full-time education (70%); 1890 students of correspondence (28%). 388 students were enrolled at the university and study programs of secondary vocational programs. In 1972 the university has only 2 faculties and 8 specialties of training, the University today is a complex, which consists of 9 institutes and faculties, 39 departments, college available in all levels of education. The university has a license for realization of:
– 1 vocational training program;
– 1 program of initial vocational training;
– 6 specialties of secondary vocational education;
– 57 programs (specialties and areas of training) of higher education (including 8 – Master’s programs);
– 33 postgraduate specialties (postgraduate);
– 7 programs of additional vocational training, including programs that allow students to obtain an additional qualification ” teacher of high school”, “teacher”, ” personnel development manager”, “standardization and certification expert”, ‘Economist of international accounting system”, “financial management and audit”,” Translator in professional communication sphere”. The university carries out more than 50 additional educational programs.
The university created great conditions for leasure time activites of students, cultural and sports activities: four sport halls, three gyms, a swimming pool, Center of artistic creativisty with 22 studios, Museum of History of Education of Komi region, etc.
At the moment at the university works about 1068 people (including part-time), including the teaching staff – 444 people (including part-time workers – 137 persons), technical staff – 21 people, administrative and economic staff – 219 people, teaching and support – 88 people, service staff – 256 people.